Spotlight Kid Biography
Spotlight Kid continue their assault against sonic mediocrity with an assuredness and an emotional depth so many guitar bands are currently lacking.
This is the sound of a band rising to the top of their game, while wearing their hearts on their sleeves and performing live shows like their next meal depends on it. Influences from the likes of The Cure, Swervedriver and My Bloody Valentine have allowed Spotlight Kid to produce a heady mix that runs through the entire gamut of emotions.
The new album moves from the brittle melodic “Haunting Me”, a towering epic, underpinned by hopeless romantic loss, before plunging without warning headlong into the Mary Chainesque two-minute punk blast “Plan Comes Apart,” providing a marvellous wake-up call to the senses. This is exactly what the album is about. You’re in the arms of your lover one minute and then cast into a dark void the next.
Spotlight Kid’s music features mixtures of Shoegaze, Krautrock and 90s Psychedelia. Fuzzy guitars wrapped in layers of reverb and boy/girl vocals subtly building on the layered walls of distortion. In the last year Spotlight Kid have supported The Joy Formidable on their UK sell out tour, been chosen by BBC introducing to play at this year’s Glastonbury and have been play-listed on Radio 1 as well as numerous plays on 6music and XFM.
• The Guardian’s “New Band of the Day”
• The Guardian’s English representative @ Music Alliance Pact band of the Month – September
• Huw Stephens played single on his Radio 1 show
• Gideon Coe played a new track from the album on his 6music show
• Huey Morgan played album track “April” on his Radio 2 show
• Jen Long played “Creeps” on her Radio 1 show
• Don Letts played album track “April” on his 6music show
• Frank Skinner played single on his Absolute Radio show
• Jon Kennedy XFM played single on X-posure show a few times
• Music first – Frank McCarthy on BFBS “Album of the Week”
• Q Radio – New to Q played a track from the album
• Resonance FM – “Pull the Plug” show played the single.
• Drowned in Sound 8/10 review for the album “there’s little doubt that Spotlight Kid’s status as one of the most innovative bands treading the UK circuit is all but assured”
• Confirmed upcoming reviews in Q Magazine & MOJO for the album
• The Fly “First On” feature & “Ones to Watch”
• The Sun “Something for the weekend” feature
• Nottingham Evening Post feature
• Me Plus One review 8/10
• Dani Charlton (Amazing Radio) played the single
• Goldierocks played single on The Selector show on NME Radio.
• Artrocker Radio played new single
• The Selector show have invited the band to play at their monthly night in London in November
• Paul Lester (Amazing Radio) played single on his show
• Radio 1 – Playlist BBC Introducing “Band of the week” which meant daytime radio play on all major shows including Fearne Cotton, Scott Mills, Greg James, Edith Bowman and Huw Stephens
• Radio 1 – Jen Long interviewed band at Glastonbury and played live track “Forget Yourself in Me
• 6music – Steve Lamacq
• 6music – Tom Robinson – continuous support played “Haunting Me” several times and played LIVE session
• 6music – Gideon Coe
• XFM – John Kennedy
• BBC Radio Nottingham – Dean Jackson Show has played numerous tracks and recorded live sessions
• Amazing Radio – Single of the week
• Trent FM – New Music Podcast